An intrepid backpacker, freelance photographer and writer, Ferdinand Decena loves to go on off-the-beaten paths to discover the wonders of new destinations. Yet he is also equally comfortable finding himself in familiar tourist traps. When not on the road, he shares his passion for traveling and photography in his blog, ironwulf.net . A graduate of Fine Arts, Major in Advertising at the Far Eastern University, he got started on film photography during his college years. He worked as a graphic artist and web designer for three years, pursuing photography as a hobby.
Landing his first publication job as an Art Director enabled him to embark on a new career as a professional photographer. Getting his fair share of freelance jobs and assignments, his works eventually graced a number of publications both here and overseas like the inflight magazines of Seair (Inflight) Philippine Airline (Mabuhay), Cebu Pacific Airline (Smile) and Qatar Airway (Oryx), to name a few. Apart from print publication, he also did commercial work for the Lopez Group Foundation and Landco Pacific Corporation.
His website, Ironwulf.net: En Route at www.ironwulf.net, chronicles his many travels and insightful photography. The site garnered the awards for Best Travel Blog for 2008 by Philippine Blog Awards 2 and for WikiPinoy of the Year: Blogger for Geography and Travel by WikiPilipinas.
- 2008: 18th TNT Magazine London Travel Writing and Photography Awards – First Place in The World Around Us category and overall winner, Reader’s Choice Awards
- 2007: National Geographic and Sony Ericsson’s Windows Into Asia Awards - Top 3 Philippine Finalist
- First Solo Exhibit – Living by Water, May 12-27, 2008 at the Alcove: Filipinas Heritage Library, Ayala, Makati
- Participant in the 18th TNT Magazine Travel Writing and Photography Awards Exhibit – August 27 – September 5 2008 in Sacred Café in Soho, Carnaby, London
- Manila Bulletin’s Picture Perfect Photographer of the Week “Placing his Passion into Focus” , February 17, 2009
- Seair Inflight Infocus, December 2008 – January 2009 Issue
- Mornings at ANC (Philippine Blog Awards Winner Feature), ABS CBN News Channel, October 10, 2008
- ANC Shop Talk Feature “Not so usual Asian Travel Destinations”, ABS CBN News Channel, July 23, 2008
- “Meet the Ironwulf”, Manila Bulletin Blog-O-Rama, April 2, 2007